Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Acting Class Done

Well, back home. My first acting class is over. I am still a bit nervy, not sure why, it's over and I am home sitting on my couch.

First impressions. I like the people in the class. A lot of young folks like me which is nice, fifty fifty girls and boys. There is one man though that looks exactly like Larry David, jesus... almost like you have to see it to believe it. He is 50 something too. This guy was born to play Larry David somehow, someway.

Our acting teacher is cool, his name is Vladimir, he speaks with a bit of a russian dialect which is cool :) We got to do a few exercises of course during the 2 hour class, the first one was about sitting on a chair on stage. He immediately looks at me and says "Burak, come up here" and he asked me to sit on a chair, twice in a row, as an exercise. I am not going to bore you with the details but it has some good idea behind it. I am surprised that he picked me first, randomly, I thought "hey, this is why we are here, let's do this!" although I was a bit nervous. Not super nervous to be honest, there were some other people there who were a lot more nervous, and even admitted to it when we talked about ourselves.

He even invited us to the advance classes on Wednesday nights, which I have to go to. I am not sure if I am going to partake in the class which is more of an advanced class but I am at least going to watch it, and hopefully learn something.

We got some weird homework man, I can't even start to explain it, it's about some kind of body movement that we have to master, it's basically to teach us how to multitask, with our minds.

One homework that I can talk about though is that he asked us to prepare a monologue. I am not sure exactly what to pick but I think it is going to be the poem "The Soldier" by Ropert Brook. Am not completely sure if it's ok, it is a bit of a text after all, but no real talkie talkie, but I am sure it will pass. I just love that poem.

All said and done (roughly, am very tired) and my feelings after the first class is oddly... not sure. Am not SUPER happy, I did like and enjoy it but I am not jumping out of my chair, which I don't mind at all. I wasn't that nervous, was pretty comfortable with standing in front of everyone and I know that I can do better then most of those people, even the guy who has been in a film and a play in the US. I am going back on wednesday for the advance classes and thursday for my regular classes and we going to rock this. I dont feel like a fish out of water, I am just waiting to see how I react and cope with the reality of acting.

Cheers