Friday, May 29, 2009

My Favorite Film

Oldboy

What can I say?

Let's simply start of with the plot from IMDB;

"An average man is kidnapped and imprisoned in a shabby cell for 15 years without explanation. He then is released, equipped with money, a cellphone and expensive clothes. As he strives to explain his imprisonment and get his revenge, he soon finds out that not only his kidnapper has still plans for him, but that those plans will serve as the even worse finale to 15 years of imprisonment."

The first time I saw it I didn't even know what I was getting myself into. I went to the movies and just pointed my finger at the poster and not knowing a single thing about the film I said "let's see that". Not expecting anything.

I left the cinema flabbergasted. How can a film be this good? I guess I am a sucker for films with a bit of a complicated, layered, plot where the answers are revealed at the end. An impressive thriller that thrilled the shit out of me.

I am not sure what I love the most. How the director filmed the film itself. The brilliant acting from the protagonist Min-sik Choi (who plays Dae-Su Oh) or the antagonist Ji-tae Yu (who plays Woo-jin Lee) or the soundtrack that is probably one of the best I have ever heard, and I have heard a lot of em'). Western films soundtracks always leaves me empty and wanting more. I can't remember a single film except "Synecdoche, New York" where I thought "fucking hell, that soundtrack was good" which is suprising considering the heavyweights living and working in the western world. I must have overlooked things but I can't remember for the life of me, and to be honest, if I can't remember it, how fucking good could it be? NEXT!

Just listen to this and you'll understand what I am talking about

- Oldboy OST - The Searchers http://blip.fm/~79901
- Oldboy OST - Farewell, My Lovely http://blip.fm/~79926

A film has never put me in such suspense and hooked so much that I never wish it would end. Big applause to the original creator of the manga Oldboy and the whole team who wrote, directed, shot and acted in Oldboy.

My all time favorite film, still.