Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I am deeps

Not only am I amazingly good looking (ask anybody, I swear!) turns out I am also quite philosophical. This makes a whole lot of sense since I am planning on studying philosophy among other things when I go back to school in a few months.

I can't remember the details but I posted a comment on one digg submission a good while ago saying that humans will never invent nor learn everything there ever is to be invented or to be learned. That in itself is a bit philosophical, and by that I mean that you can argue for and against it and no one will be totally right or wrong I guess. This one fella thought I was 100% wrong so I sent in a question to one of my favorite astrologists Dr Niel deGrasse Tyson (I always pronounce his name with an Jamaican accent), hey! I couldn't think of anybody else ok? I thought of sending the same question to folks at Cambridge and Oxford etc (yes I am srs bsns) but I couldn't find any contact info on their website, on purpose perhaps? HMMM! *the plot thickens*

Keep in mind this was probably 2-3 months ago BUT DON'T FRET! I obviously sturred into quite a few peoples thought holes to get an answer back. Not from Dr Tyson himself since he obviously is a very busy man, but from one of this amigos K. E. Saavik Ford and this is what he says

"Dear Burak,

Your question to Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson was directed to me. He has
been impossibly busy lately and I have agreed to share the task of
answering the many questions he receives daily.

You raise an interesting philosophical speculation. There is no scientific
answer to this question, but we can speculate:

For example, there are presumably an infinite variety of mousetraps (e.g.
spring-loaded with infinite varieties of cheese ranging to the infinitely
complex & ridiculous, dropping skyscrapers of slightly different heights
on mice, etc etc). It therefore seems like that for every possible
invention (presumably infinitely many), there may be an infinity of
variants. Therefore even given an infinite amount of time, you're in the
business of comparing infinities (which you can do mathematically, but it
is difficult to know how to quantify the infinities here).

If you're asking can we know everything in our Universe, the present
answer is no. There are definite limits to our knowledge (certainly as far
as our present knowledge is concerned). For example, the rules that govern
sub-atomic
particles (quantum theory) tell us that you can *never* know both the
position & momentum of a sub-atomic particle to arbitrary precision.

Thank you for your interest,

K. E. Saavik Ford
Astrophysicist and Hayden Associate
Asst. Prof. of Astronomy
Borough of Manhattan Comm. College - CUNY"

Quite interesting huh?

Posted by Picasa